Archive for category Romanesque

The Hotel Vintage Plaza

422 SW Broadway Built of brick and stone and designed by Frederick M. White, this building, the former Imperial Hotel, features archways and decorative carvings above the upper story windows as well as at ground level, and also has several of the belt courses prevalent in Romanesque revival buildings. This structure was restored in the 1980’s; […]

Leave a comment

Haseltine Building

133 SW 2nd Avenue This building’s rough Tenino stone lower half and massive, rounded arch entryways define it as a product of the Richardsonian Romanesque trend of the late nineteenth century.  However, the simplicity of its form recalls both ancient and Renaissance Italian architecture, as well.  The even spacing and size of the lower arches […]

Leave a comment

Union Station

800 NW 6th Avenue Though originally the dream of German born railroad tycoon Henry Villard in 1881, his  bankruptcy in 1883 suspended the building of the station until the beginning of the next decade.  Kansas architectural firm Van Brunt and Howe’s original exterior remains much the same as it was at the time of its […]

Leave a comment

St. Michael the Archangel

424 SW Mill Street Built from mostly donated materials for the Italian immigrant population of Portland, who had established the parish in 1851, this sturdy structure combines the power of  Italian Romanesque church construction with the warmth of a red brick exterior.  Its thick walls, attached square bell tower with pyramidal roof, and symmetrical facade […]

Leave a comment

Gerding Theater / Old Portland Armory

128 NW 11th Avenue Built in 1891 and designed by McCaw, Martin and White. Constructed of brick, stone and wood, the Armory was originally constructed to give the Oregon National Guard “more space for drill maneuvers, as well as an underground firing range for all-season target practice.” This building has a more striking Medieval appearance […]

Leave a comment

William Temple House / Dr. Kenneth A.J. Mackenzie House

615 NW 20th Avenue Architects Whidden and Lewis designed this imposing Richardsonian Romanesque dwelling in 1892 for Dr. Kenneth A.J. Mackenzie, founder of the University of Oregon Medical School, forerunner of Oregon Health Sciences University. It remained in the family for many years after his death before being purchased by the Episcopal Laymen’s Mission Society; […]

Leave a comment

The Dekum Building

519 SW 3rd Avenue Built in 1891, added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1980, Designed by McCaw, Martin and White. The lower three stories are of massive sandstone blocks, while the upper floors are brick. The over-scale arches, the rusticated standstone blocks that make up the lower floors, and the extensive carvings give […]

Leave a comment