Archive for category Gothic

Trinity Episcopal Cathedral

147 NW 19th Avenue Built in 1903 after a fire destroyed the older wooden episcopal church on Oak and 3rd, Trinity Episcopal Cathedral is actually the 3rd building constructed by the episcopal congregation (the first being a log cabin type structure constructed in 1853).  The main structure of the church, with its pointed-topped arches and […]

Leave a comment

The Bishop’s House

219-223 SW Stark Street Though initially intended to function as the meeting hall and living quarters of Archbishop Blanchett, this brick and cast iron building has since housed such diverse enterprises as a speakeasy, a Chinese Tong or secret brotherhood, and an atelier for the city’s young architects, overseen by the accomplished A.E. Doyle and […]

Leave a comment

First Baptist Church

909 SW 11th Avenue Warren G. Hayes of Minneapolis had designed over one hundred churches by the time the First Baptist congregation commissioned him to build theirs.  The main body of this muscular structure with solid stone walls is sandstone quarried from the Pittsburgh quarry in Washington; the darker stone of the basement came from […]

Leave a comment

Calvary Presbyterian Church/The Old Church

1422 SW 11th Avenue Warren Heywood Williams’s magnificent church is a product of the High Victorian interest in Gothic Revival architecture.  As a Carpenter Gothic building it exhibits many of the dramatic elements most closely associated with Gothic European churches, such as stained glass windows, a dramatic belfry, pointed archways and buttresses.  However, this structure […]

Leave a comment

First Presbyterian Church

1220 SW Alder Street The structure’s facade is composed of coarse, black basalt from Mt. St. Helens and roughened sandstone trim from a quarry near Bellingham, Washington.  A porte-cochere, or carriage porch, extends from the southeast corner of the edifice. Sidelights between buttresses, themselves a hallmark of Gothic architecture, as well as Povey Brothers stained […]

Leave a comment

First Congregational Church

1126 SW Park Avenue Originally this structure boasted three towers, two of which were removed in the 1940s due to damage; the congregation elected to rebuild the remaining tower in the early 1960s. Its 185 foot height and the red and white “mini-cathedral” that sits atop surrounded by a repetition of diamond shapes add verticality […]

Leave a comment

St. James Lutheran Church

1315 SW Park Avenue Although Portland architect P. Chappel Browne is known to have designed the original wooden structure (1890) that housed the congregation on this site, the architect of the current church, with its rough limestone exterior, is strangely lost to the sands of time.  The National Register of Historic Buildings added the structure […]

Leave a comment