Archive for September, 2011

Trinity Episcopal Cathedral

147 NW 19th Avenue Built in 1903 after a fire destroyed the older wooden episcopal church on Oak and 3rd, Trinity Episcopal Cathedral is actually the 3rd building constructed by the episcopal congregation (the first being a log cabin type structure constructed in 1853).  The main structure of the church, with its pointed-topped arches and […]

Leave a comment

The Bishop’s House

219-223 SW Stark Street Though initially intended to function as the meeting hall and living quarters of Archbishop Blanchett, this brick and cast iron building has since housed such diverse enterprises as a speakeasy, a Chinese Tong or secret brotherhood, and an atelier for the city’s young architects, overseen by the accomplished A.E. Doyle and […]

Leave a comment

Piggott’s Castle

2591 SW Buckingham Terrace Is it a castle or is it Romanesque Revival? Originally called the Mount Gleall castle (“Gleall” being a combination of Gladys, Earl, and Lloyd, the names of Charles Piggott’s children), this home was constructed of bricks from Charles Piggott’s own brickyard. The building has four bedrooms, three and a half bathrooms, and […]

Leave a comment

The Hotel Vintage Plaza

422 SW Broadway Built of brick and stone and designed by Frederick M. White, this building, the former Imperial Hotel, features archways and decorative carvings above the upper story windows as well as at ground level, and also has several of the belt courses prevalent in Romanesque revival buildings. This structure was restored in the 1980’s; […]

Leave a comment

Haseltine Building

133 SW 2nd Avenue This building’s rough Tenino stone lower half and massive, rounded arch entryways define it as a product of the Richardsonian Romanesque trend of the late nineteenth century.  However, the simplicity of its form recalls both ancient and Renaissance Italian architecture, as well.  The even spacing and size of the lower arches […]

Leave a comment

Union Station

800 NW 6th Avenue Though originally the dream of German born railroad tycoon Henry Villard in 1881, his  bankruptcy in 1883 suspended the building of the station until the beginning of the next decade.  Kansas architectural firm Van Brunt and Howe’s original exterior remains much the same as it was at the time of its […]

Leave a comment

First Baptist Church

909 SW 11th Avenue Warren G. Hayes of Minneapolis had designed over one hundred churches by the time the First Baptist congregation commissioned him to build theirs.  The main body of this muscular structure with solid stone walls is sandstone quarried from the Pittsburgh quarry in Washington; the darker stone of the basement came from […]

Leave a comment